We are open: Wednesdays 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. or Saturdays 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Why Hillside Food Pantry Does What We Do!
Hillside Food Pantry began as an outreach ministry committed to showing the love of God in a meaningful way by distributing “rescued food” to people in need. It also provided an opportunity for people from all walks of life to come together for a common purpose and help make our community a better place for all of us.
What we didn’t anticipate was how our simple commitment to treat our patrons with dignity and respect and make coming to a food pantry as stress-free as possible set such a caring and friendly tone that we have become a “community of people helping people.” Smiles and hugs are freely given and received, and we see that “It’s about more than just the food.”
Since May of 2009 we have been providing bags filled with healthy food to an average of 500 households a week. With your financial support, hundreds of hours of work by our faithful volunteers, tens of thousands of pounds of donated food from our local food stores, the Evanston Farmers Market, Hunger Resource Network and the Greater Chicago Food Depository (GCFD), as well as food drives and donations from countless people and groups, we have ben able to help give away more than 250,000 bags of food to people in need since we opened our doors through March of 2020!
Being hungry makes getting through the day much harder.
- *One in six people in Cook County receives food from a soup kitchen, food pantry, or meal plan.
- *Annually 46 million people in the United States (1 in 7) receive emergency food *assistance through Feeding America’s network of 200 food banks.
- *12 million children and 7 million older adults receive food assistance annually in the U.S.
- *18% of households receiving food assistance from the Food Depository network include at least one member who has served or who is currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- *The Food Depository network serves nearly 165,000 children through grocery and meal programs, and this doesn’t even include the meals served through the Depository’s children’s programs, which have totaled over 2 million meals in each of the last 3 fiscal years.
- *The Food Depository network of agencies serves over 125,000 adults aged 60 and over, representing more than 18% of total clients served in grocery and meal programs.
If you wish to make a cash donation to the food pantry you can send or bring a check payable to ‘Hillside Food Pantry’ (2727 Crawford Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201). If you wish to make food donations, review this list to help us. Thank you!
Learn More! Click play to watch the video below to see a national feature on Hillside Food Pantry.